In November 2008, the ABC show had a house with high radon levels.
To fix the radon problem they blew up the house because the kids were sick. I believe the reason for the sickness was the exposed dirt that was coming through the cement block into the dirt birm. There was a radon problem; but the solution was not to blow up the house. The producers decided to take the unnecessary step of blowing up the house as an over dramatic solution.
The American Lung Association produced Radon & You Video. This is a humorous and informative video.